"Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May" is a poem by Robert Herrick. This poem portrays our existence on earth, and that people age as life goes on, and everything becomes boundless. Herrick here urges people to take advantage of youth and energy while they may! The poem is in the genre of carpe diem, to seize the day.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Outi AKA Makwa AKA Iron

This conversation (between our driver –Egyptian- and maid –Sri Lankan-) YEARS ago
I don't know why it came to mind… but I cant stop laughing now



Hassan: Nina, eddini el makwa
(I want an iron)
Nina: SHENOOOO?
(WHAT?)
Hassan: 3awiz makwa
(I need an iron)
Nina: enta shino yegool kalam chidi 3eeb!!! Mako e7teraam!
(What are you saying! How rude! I need some respect)
Hassan: allah! Ya bent iddini makwitik besor3a asl ana 3awiz albis wa6la3 besor3a
(God! You woman just give me an iron fast, I need to get ready to go out)
Nina: ana yegool 7ag mama!!!
(I will report you to my madam)


Nina: mama… hada Hassan ejee gool ana aby makwa!
(ma'am.. Hassan came to me and asked me for iron!)
Mom: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
(HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
Nina: mama lated7ikeen hada Hassan gool kalam mo zeen chidi
(ma'am dont laugh, Hassan is being rude)
Mom: la 3adi 3a6eeh makwa its ok
(no its ok, just give him an iron)
Nina: *starts crying* la mamaaa mayseeeeeeeeeeeeer
(no ma'am that is not possible)


And then my mom explained it to her… she thought it was a joke for the longest time ever! LOL

For non Arabic-speakers... Iron in Egyptian Dialect is called Makwa, and Makwa in Kuwaiti Dialect translates to ASS!

13 comments:

zwena said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

i couldnt stop laughing hahahahaha

i really needed to laugh thanks ;**

*hahahahahahaha*

Purgatory said...

You should be ashamed for making fun of them, bad bad bad woman.

Anonymous said...

she's not making fun of them! it happens! LOOOL! "eddini makwetik"!

Whatever said...

LOL so funny!! Mskeeena =D

Anonymous said...

looooooooooool

Ansam said...

zwena-
No problem hehehe

Purgatory-
Yeah... uh huh! Sure!

chika-
Thanks for backing me up! GIRL POWER! hehehehe aywa ya sitti

Fa6ma-
hehehehe

..::Amu::..
Yep! Its super funny!

Amjad said...

if it wasn't for the last line, I wouldn't have got it myself, lol.

I never knew that Makwa in Kuwaiti is ASS :P

FourMe said...

hahahahaha Classic!

Grey said...

looool ! ROFLMAO !

Anonymous said...

Maskeena XD

Anonymous said...

looool oh my u cracked me up : p
bas 7aram i felt sorry for the maid when she started crying!

Enigma said...

looool.. 3ayal ma sheftay il egyptian da3aya on Rotana- "Ghasalaaa dakhelha makwa"

HAHAHA

Ansam said...

Amjad-
LOL everyday you learn something new hehehehe
Today... a new word was added to your dictionary!

FourMe-
Very! hehehe

Grey-
LOL

3baid-
Yeah... specially when she thought we were still joking!

Anonymous-
LOL :-P

Enigma-
LOL no! I havent seen that one!

About Me

My photo
Adventurous, Artist, Analyst, Creative, Independent