"Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May" is a poem by Robert Herrick. This poem portrays our existence on earth, and that people age as life goes on, and everything becomes boundless. Herrick here urges people to take advantage of youth and energy while they may! The poem is in the genre of carpe diem, to seize the day.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Yawning!

I was reading "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell and got tired/sleepy/dizzy because of the following...

"Have you ever thought about yawning, for instance? Yawning is a surprisingly powerful act. Just by reading the two yawns in the previous two sentences--and the two additional yawns in this sentence--a good number of you will probably yawn within the next few minutes. Even as I'm writing this I've yawned twice. If you're reading this in a public place, and you've just yawned, chances are that a good proportion of everyone who saw you yawn is now yawning too, and a good proportion of the people watching the people who watched you yawn are now yawning as well, and on and on, in a ever-widening, yawning circle.

Yawning is incredibly contagious. I made some of you reading this yawn simply by writing the word "yawn". The people who yawned when they saw you yawn, meanwhile, were infected by the sight of you yawning--which is a second kind of contagion. They might even have yawned if they only heard you yawn, because yawning is also aurally contagious: if you play an audio-tape of a yawn to blind people, they'll yawn too. And finally, if you yawned as you read this, did the thought cross your mind--however unconsciously and fleetingly--that you might be tired? I suspect that for some of you it did, which means that yawns can also be emotionally contagious. Simply by writing the word, I can plant a feeling in your mind. Can the flu virus do that? Contagiousness, in other words, is an unexpected property of all kinds of things, and we have to remember that if we are to recognize and diagnose epidemic change."

16 comments:

Euphoria said...

*yawns*

eshda3wa said...

*yawns*

Mark said...

According to Mythbusters, yawning isn't contagious.

"In a test pool of 50 people those who were influenced into yawning by the MythBusters yawned 29% of the time. However, those who were not influenced yawned only 25% of the time. Despite this supportive evidence, the 4% difference between the experimental and control groups was not large enough to constitute a statistically significant difference (at alpha = 0.05), and therefore no definitive conclusion could be reached based on these results."

His Sweetheart said...

LOL
Can't read it at work with all the drowsiness inside my head

Unknown said...

i didnt yawns!
i just sneezed !!!!

Anonymous said...

lol @ Scorpion .. well i didn't yawn as well !

Ansam said...

Euphoria & Eshda3wa-
LOL

Mark-
Thanks for the info! I read some parts of it to my family... two of my cousins did not yawn, but I got yelled at to STOP by the others LOL

His Sweetheart
LOL

Scorpion-
Bless you :-P

Anonymous-
That goes back to the third comment explanation :-P

Anonymous said...

OMG, that was soooooooooooooooooo boring *yawns* hehe I usually hate reading anything like that coz to my opinion its full of crap o most of it doesnt really make sense in real world :p

Aurous said...

I started yawning thanks to this paragraph :)


interesting

Yara said...

I yawned from the third line :)

Anonymous said...

i yawned when i read the word " yawn " twice :s

Technogal said...

I was totally awake before reading your post, and wanted to continue reading some other blogs! but guess what? I couldn't stop yawning the minute I started reading your post! loooool 7adi dekht!

Technogal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ansam said...

Nouf-
LOL... no its a good book about marketing :-) I just used that paragraph!

Aurous-
LOL

Yara-
So you yawned! :-P

Delly-
LOL.. I could not stop yawning after that paragraph that I decided to wait a while before going back to reading this book :-P

Technogal-
Mowahahahahahaaaa *Evil Laugh*

Mathai said...

oh damn ! just reading about it makes me yawn and now I cant stop.. *YAWN*

Ansam said...

Mathai-
Mowahahahaha *Evil Laugh AGAIN & AGAIN*

About Me

My photo
Adventurous, Artist, Analyst, Creative, Independent