"Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May" is a poem by Robert Herrick. This poem portrays our existence on earth, and that people age as life goes on, and everything becomes boundless. Herrick here urges people to take advantage of youth and energy while they may! The poem is in the genre of carpe diem, to seize the day.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Orientalism


Orientalism is the study of Near and Far Eastern societies and cultures, languages and people by Westerners. It can also refer to the imitation or depiction of aspects of Eastern cultures in the West by writers, designers and artists. It encompasses art, music, literature, architecture and design but, as far as Oriental Art is concerned, it is characterized by its focus on a common fascination with a region rather than a movement or a style.
The term "Orient" is derived from the Latin word "Oriens" which means "east" (or literally "rising sun")

The paintings are basically a style of art associated with a group of 19th-century artists who were fond of depicting harem girls, sheikhs and Middle-Eastern scenery - whether or not the artist had actually spent time in the Middle East. Delacroix, Ingres and (Henri) Rousseau - to name the three best-known artists - all employed "oriental" touches to various

Depictions of Islamic "Moors" and "Turks" (imprecisely named Muslim groups of North Africa and West Asia) can be found in Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque art. But it was not until the 19th century that "Orientalism" in the arts became an established theme. In these works the myth of the Orient as exotic and corrupt is most fully articulated. Such works typically concentrated on Near-Eastern Islamic cultures.


Source: Dictionary and Encyclopedia


*********************************

My View on Orientalism:

I have always appreciated Islamic art and architecture! I am also a fan of Orientalism Art.
The paintings are so warm and live.. I would stand in front of one and stare for long time.
It is very rich! When I was looking at one of those paintings at my uncle's house I felt the warmth. I saw live coming out of it.. it was somehow in movement! I felt the heat of the climate/desert... I swear these paintings are so live.. Some good ones can appear photographic too! They look real, and are able to take you into other dimensions.. way beyond it!

As for owning one... hmm I don't really know! I can absolutely say these are amazing pieces and work of art (actually on of my favorites).. To me, they are something I would appreciate looking at and enjoy... (basically having the pleasure to simply look at without having to own it)..


My style is rather simple chic to modern.. with some art deco maybe! But if I have one of those painting, I know I would create the atmosphere for it in a corner of the house to compliment the whole look... so to speak!


I will add another post with more paintings later today.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Adventurous, Artist, Analyst, Creative, Independent